|“17. Exercise of option etc under section 11.
(1) The option to be exercised in accordance with the provisions of the Explanation to subsection (1) of section 11 in respect of income of any previous year relevant to the assessment year beginning on or after the 1st day of April, 2016 shall be in Form No. 9A and shall be furnished before the expiry of the time allowed under sub-section (1) of section 139 for furnishing the return of income of the relevant assessment year.
(2) The statement to be furnished to the Assessing Officer or the prescribed authority under sub-section (2) of section 11 or under the said provision as applicable under clause (21) of section 10 shall be in Form No. 10 and shall be furnished before the expiry of the time allowed under sub-section (1) of section 139, for furnishing the return of income.
(3) The option in Form No. 9A referred to in sub-rule (1) and the statement in Form No.10 referred to in sub-rule (2) shall be furnished electronically either under digital signature or electronic verification code.
(4) The Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) or the Director General of Income-tax (Systems), as the case may be, shall-
(i) specify the procedure for filing of Forms referred to in sub-rule (3);
(ii) specify the data structure, standards and manner of generation of electronic verification code, referred to in sub-rule(3), for purpose of verification of the person furnishing the said Forms; and
(ii) be responsible for formulating and implementing appropriate security, archival and retrieval policies in relation to Forms so furnished.”.
* These Rule w.e.f 1st April 2016